My take on a sweet potato cottage pie is a great meal to make when it’s a little chilly outside. As you make it in a large dish, it’s perfect if you’re cooking for a group of people or if you plan to use your leftovers for lunch the next day. Add some parmesan cheese on the top for a twist and serve with green beans and broccoli.
To make my sweet potato cottage pie…
You will need:
500g lean mince beef
2 large aubergines, chopped
Red onion, chopped
200ml beef stock
For the mash:
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
4 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 180C and have a large casserole dish to hand.
- In a large frying pan, fry your onion and mince for 5-10 minutes in a little olive oil.
- In pan of boiling water, add the roughly chopped carrots and sweet potatoes. Bring to the boil and simmer for around 20 minutes until they’re soft.
- When your mince and onion have browned, add in your aubergines and simmer together with the beef stock for 15 minutes.
- When your carrots and sweet potatoes are cooked through, drain the water and mash in the pan with a knob of butter.
- Tip the contents of your frying pan into a large casserole dish and season. Spoon on the mash and spread evenly to cover.
- Pop the dish into the oven for 40 minutes.
- Scoop the finished sweet potato cottage pie onto plates and serve with green veg.